Dover Delays Could Last for Weeks, Holidaymakers Warned

Police have warned that holidaymakers face weeks of severe delays at Dover due to problems with French border checks.

Motorists heading for the Continent queued for up to 15 hours over the weekend after French authorities stepped up security checks following the Nice terrorist attack.

The Port of Dover said that French border control booths at the port had been left seriously understaffed, with three of the seven used by tourists open on Friday night – the start of the peak summer getaway.

“At one stage, only one French officer was available to check passengers on hundreds of coaches, resulting in each coach taking 40 minutes to process,” a spokesman told The Times.

Kent police said queues were returning to normal on Sunday but that a large volume of holiday traffic coupled with heightened security “could mean some delays over the next few weeks”.

Some motorists caught up in the tailbacks turned away from Dover on Sunday morning to use Eurotunnel Le Shuttle services from Folkestone instead.

The port said it had raised concerns over French staffing levels with the UK government earlier this week, which were then brought up with its French counterparts.

Article courtesy of www.travelweekly.co.uk
http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/62464/dover-delays-could-last-for-weeks-holidaymakers-warned

Leave A Comment